Wednesday, January 11, 2012

PageMaps Sketch Challenge


I haven't actually scrapped in a while and certainly my book is feeling very neglected, but I couldn't resist the challenge that Becky Fleck of PageMaps posted on Facebook earlier this week. 

The challenge was to make a page based on our interpretation of her sketch. I am sure that I took the sketch a bit too literal for it to actually win the challenge...but I have to say, it was so much fun to create and the ideas just kept popping up. In the end it turned out to be one of my favorite pages and I might just have to put this one in a shadowbox and hang it on the wall.

It's hard to see in the picture, but I used a lot of dimensional elements to make this layout really "pop," beginning with the little heart box (made from the Cricut Wild Card cartridge for both the box and the heart shaped opening). After making it first in a silver color, I realized it would look better in white cardstock stamped with a script text background. Once it was assembled, it reminded me of the conversation hearts boxes that you see at Valentine's Day and I just happened to have some red hot candy pieces to put inside for the perfect effect (and keeping in my red, white, and black color scheme). The second picture shows how it pops off the page.
I was also able to use some Grungeboard cutouts by adding painted flourishes on top of the patterned paper squares and popped up the hanging heart by coating it in Glossy Accents, which really made it stand out.

If you have never tried a PageMaps sketch, you really should check it out. They are the perfect thing to help you expand your skill set and add some fresh elements to your scrapbook pages. I turn to my PageMap books over and over again to find inspiration and new ways to combine elements on my pages. And each month, Becky posts new sketches on her website.  My layouts are so much better now that I’ve found her sketches! Thanks Becky!

No comments:

Post a Comment