Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Birthdays, Birthdays Everywhere (an OWH Midweek Throwdown)

February is a very busy month for my card making! All three of my sisters-in-law have birthdays within the first week of the month. My father and bestest friend share a birthday on the 19th and my nephew has one on the 23. I am sure there are some friends days in the month as well, but I have yet to turn the calendar....I'm a bit scared.

So it seems only fitting that today's OWH Mid-Week Throwdown challenged us to create birthday cards. What's one or two more to the mix? 

Thankfully, I just won the most adorable Big Wishes Mae birthday stamp set from Kristy Dalman over at Some Odd Girl stamps during SOG's birthday blog hop. She'll be getting very inky this month!

I mentioned before that I have been following along with Nathalie Kalbach's Creative Jump Start Summit 2013 and have watched so many talented artists create with a variety of mediums. It has really inspired me to dust off some of my old products and try my hand at some new (to me) techniques.

The background paper for today's card was inspired by yesterdays tutorial by Ronda Palazzari. Ronda has designed some new stencils for The Crafter's Workshop and she used watercolor crayons along with the stencils to produce some pretty watercolor images. I decided to try this to create a pretty floral backdrop for Mae. I started off outlining the stencils with the watercolor crayons, but switched over to watercolor colored pencils and liked the effect much better.  Unfortunately, Mae looks a bit like an Oompa-loompa in this picture. I was trying to differentiate between her pale face and hair color and ended up using a bit more E11 than I should have. We'll just pretend she's been tanning too much! Or maybe it's just the glow of the birthday candle. Oh well...I'll keep trying.

Well, that's one card down...several more to go! As always, thanks for stopping by.

 

8 comments:

  1. I love your background paper and those wonderful colors and flowers! Great image with fun coloring, and I think she looks just fine behind the glow of that candle :) Great card!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! You won! Your card is super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun card! I did not really notice that she was glowing until you mentioned it...tfs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a bright and happy card! So darling!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh is she ever cute! I love your happy birthday card =)


    Thanks for playing in our Operation Write Home Midweek Throwdown challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adorable image and perfect for one of those many birthdays. I love those bright colors.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ROFL! I wasn't sure what you meant until you pointed out her facial color. I think she is super duper cute and I love love love that background. What a fun card!

    ReplyDelete