Monday, January 21, 2013

OWH Design Bootcamp--Basic Color Theory

It's been a pretty crafty weekend...the silver lining to having to cancel our weekend plans. We were supposed to go visit my in-laws but the kids are sick and they (my in-laws) are deathly afraid of catching the flu.

So this morning I woke up resolved to make a few more cards to add to my box for Operation Write Home. Shipping rates will be going up on the 27th of January, so I'd like to get another box out to them before the price increase.


Over on the Stars and Stamps blog they are featuring the Operation Write Home Design Bootcamp and today's lesson (complete with homework no less) is about Basic Color Theory. Our assignment was to create a card based on one of the color harmonies discussed--monochromatic, analogous, complementary, or a color scheme based on nature.


For my card I chose the complementary colors of blue, blue green and green, which reminded me of the colors in peacock feathers. I just picked this stamp up at a yard sale in a collection of miscellaneous red rubber stamps, so I have no idea where to get it or who even makes it. Using my Copic markers (B14, BG15, and G14) made it really easy to make sure my colors coordinated.  I finished off the edges with some Freckled Fawn washi tape with the same colors and stamped the sentiment from Paper Smooches Word Salad.


If you are looking for some design inspiration, make sure to check out the Stars and Stamps blog. I can't wait to see what else is in store!

9 comments:

  1. OH MY! I love the colors and the shapes really draw me in! Great job as always!
    Hummer Hugs,
    Misty
    http://deliteful-gifts.blogspot.com/
    hummingbird204 at comcast dot net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Misty...I'll hop on over and check out your blog too!

      Delete
  2. Great job Stacy! This is such a great choice of colors for that adorable Peacock image and the crisp white really makes them 'pop'. Super clever use with the way yo used the washi tape to create this 'photo corners' effect too. Thanks for sharing your card!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the great tutorial Paula...couldn't have done it without you :-)

      Delete
  3. Cute stamp and card! I love that color combo too. Nicely done! Happy Boot Camping! I love the title to your blog, too. You're new to me I think... Following!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the nice comment Nancy and for following my blog as well, I'll have to step up my posts :-)

      Delete
  4. Stacy,

    I love your use of the washi tape. It gives such a nice geometric pattern that takes your eyes right in to the focal point -- your adorable peacock and perfectly-themed sentiment. Great job! TFS!!!

    ReplyDelete