Sunday, February 24, 2013

I CAS(E)d this Sketch to Create a Late Birthday Card

Last night I played around with a lot of new things....well new to me that is to create a very late birthday card for my nephew Will. Will's birthday unfortunately falls two days before Christmas and in the hustle and bustle of the holiday, combined with packing our family for a surprise Disney trip, his card got lost in the shuffle. Both my husband and I thought we had mailed the card...but here it is two months later and he never got it. Big oops! So much for us being at the top of the favorite uncle and aunt list.

Anyway, back to the card. I just purchased some "gently used" Papertrey Ink stamps and the coordinating die from a fellow crafter.  Thank you, Emily! I've had my eye on the The Enjoy the Ride set for while now, and luckily she was looking to find a new home for hers. This set is so adorable and can be used for a number of occasions. In addition to stamps for both the outline and the inside of the car, the set includes a number of sentiment stamps and little greetings that go inside the license plate area. I love the versatility of the sayings. And I just couldn't wait to ink it up.

For my layout, I chose this week's CAS(E) this Sketch by Karolyn Loncon. I thought it would be the perfect sketch for the card I had in mind. And I had the perfect paper for my background from the Road Trip All-in-One Scrap Pad by K&Company that I found on the clearance shelves at TJ Maxx for only $2. It came together so quickly and I think turned out so cute. 

Inspiration for this card actually came from a cute card that Nichole Heady, co-owner of Papertrey Ink, created for another vehicle release, Hot Rods, this past summer. You can scroll through her blog post to see her Speed Limit card here. I just loved the idea of including the birthday age as the speed limit. I used Paper Smooches Alphadots to create the lettering and a Fiskar's set for the numbers. I used a little Copic B00 in the window and some YR12 and glossy accents on the taillights and was done! A super simple, super cute card.

I hope my nephew likes this card enough to forgive us for being so late!
Thanks for visiting!





4 comments:

  1. love the age as the speed limit. cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you'll be back on the 'top uncle and aunt' list with this adorable card! Love the map in the background! Thanks so much for playing along with CAS(E) This Sketch this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is fabulous, Stacy! I love the speed limit sign!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hehe, too cute, love that car and the speed limit pun. I bet he loved it! Thanks for playing this week at CAS(E) this Sketch!

    ReplyDelete