Wednesday, February 20, 2013

OWH Midweek Throwdown--Fun Folds & a Focal Point

Operation Write Home's Mid-week Throwdown challenge is to create a fun fold card. A couple of weeks back, I created a tri-fold shutter card (here) thanks to one of Sandy's tutorials, so for the challenge I wanted to try something different. After scouring Pinterest, I came across this card featuring a modified joy fold. And here's my take on it:


To create this card, you take an A2 base card and affix flaps to both the right and the left of the card. For the left flap I used the largest of the Spellbinders Nestabilities Labels 10 and for the right flap I used the oval shape from my Creative Memories cutting system. Once you've attached both the right and left flaps you can cover it with a sheet of card stock cut slightly smaller (seen in white). The image I used is called Guitar Kody and he is a digi stamp from Some Odd Girl colored with various Copics. Isn't he just adorable? The blue papers (both solid and patterned are from K&Company.)


Because the flaps of the card overlap and don't necessarily lay flat, I've used a button (adhered with a glue dot) to tuck the right flap under without having to tie it down. There are a number of other ways you could keep the card closed...but this was the best way to close it without interfering with the image.

I think he came out super cute...and I think he also fits with this month's OWH Bootcamp lesson of creating a strong focal point for your card. Don't your eyes just go right to his? If you haven't checked out Paula's OWH bootcamp, jump right over. There are some great lessons to be learned and the homework is always fun!
 

8 comments:

  1. Everything about this card is way tooooo cute!!!
    You are right, the first thing I saw were his eyes. Love the blue to match and thx for the tutorial on how to make the flaps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE your modified Joy Fold card Stacy, the Some Odd Girl image is really a cute one too!

    Thanks for playing in our Operation Write Home Midweek Throwdown challenge this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful coloring job on this image! The way you reserved the warmer colors for use only on the image and kept the rest of the card monochromatic are really a great way to control what the viewer sees first. This fold really is fun and gives the card a 'gift' quality to it because you get to kinda 'unwrap' it to open it. Love the choice of a button as a closure too. Thanks for joining in on the February Bootcamp!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stacy, we were probably scouring Pinterest at the same time for card folding ideas! Ha! I like it! And your SOG image and coloring are very nice! It definitely has a focal point!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is such a cool fold and so easy to recreate! Stealing it. :) Love this boy card!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow -- I like this idea of a fold card! You are right it is an excellent example of focal point! Great card.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous card! I love the fold technique and your instructions are great! Your coloring of the little boy is outstanding! I love the blues!

    ReplyDelete