Sunday, February 17, 2013

OWH Virtual Card Making Party--Challenges 3, 5, 6 & 8

Rather than write a blog post for each of the remaining challenges, I decided to combine a few more of them into a longer (and sorry, photo heavy) post. Up til now, I have completed challenges 1, 2, and 4 for the Virtual Card Making Party over at Operation Write Home. Here are my creations challenges 3, 5, 6 & 8. 

Challenge #3--Beth over at Bunny Scrap came up with a Selective Embossing challenge. This technique " creates an area where the embossing folder doesn't make an impression and you have an area you can stamp in or even add a different texture from another folder." I have to be honest...this one was really hard for me to pull off. Although I created my own "diffuser" I just wasn't happy with the results on the earlier attempts. I ended up having to put the green frame around the non-embossed area to define it properly. So here's the final result: 


Embossing folder and leaf die cut from Sizzix. Flower from Flutter By by Lawn Fawn. Green Hills
shadow ink from Hero Arts. Sentiment from Hero Arts Everyday Expressions.

Challenge #5--Leslie at the Crooked Stamper came up with the Disappearing Stash challenge. She asked us to take a sheet of 12 x 12 paper from our stash of 12x12 and use it along with Sketch #62 from the OWH archives to create multiple cards. The paper I chose was a left over piece of the Paper Studio that I used to create my tri-fold shutter card here. Although I didn't make a lot of these cards, the result was the same...a quick easy birthday card that is easy to mass produce.


Patterned Paper from the Paper Source (Hobby Lobby), Sentiment from Big Wish by Inkadinkado

Challenge #6--The first challenge awaiting us on Sunday morning was by Linda at Creepin Along. Her challenge was to incorporate an image "with wheels"...which is perfect for those masculine cards that are sometimes difficult to create. I used the car from my trusty Paper Smooches My Guy stamp set. And since it was a guy's card, I kept it pretty simple using some patterned paper from My Minds Eye and a computer-generated sentiment from my computer. I love the colors in the card and think guys will appreciate the simplicity of the card.



Challenge #8--Donna at Indiana Inking challenged us to use Washi Tape. Well that was an easy one for me. I have been hoarding washi tape for quite a while now and it felt good to actually put it to use. I pulled out a number of rolls that seemed to go together and started laying them down on the diagonal. The end result was a pretty background pattern that reminded me of summer. I thought it would make the perfect background for some Lawn Fawn Swimsuit Season stamps and the 'stay cool' sentiment was the perfect way to create a card that a soldier could use anytime to keep in touch with a loved one. 



Well I had hoped to tackle all of the remaining challenges today, but the season finale of Downton Abbey is on tonight and so I have to pull myself away from the craft room to see what happens to the Grantham/Crowley clan! This has been so much fun. I hope to finish up the other 3 challenges in the next few days. I've got a pretty busy schedule, but want to make sure I do all of them. 

Thanks for stopping by. Have a great night!
 

5 comments:

  1. These are all SUPER cards! Now I want that Paper Smooches guy set, one of the few PS sets I don't already own. Sigh.

    Love what you did with the washi tape. I find that diagonals work really well on cards. I also love that you had to save the selected embossing card. I would totally do that, too. There are no mistakes in stamping ...

    Thanks so much for participating in my Disappearing Act challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Summertime, here we come! I love your colors and fun images on all your cards. Great background with the washi tape. Love the summery colors and fun patterns. Makes me long for summer! Thanks for playing along with my washi tape challenge. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great group of cards! Your Washi card has me wishing for summer! Great coloring on the "wheel" card...the base apaper is yummy! Thanks for playing in the Things with Wheels challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stacy,

    What a fun group of cards! I love your take on the washi tape challenge -- what a great idea to create a diagonal pattern using the tape. And, those colors also make me long for summer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've done a great job with all the challenges, and my favorite is the washi tape card! I love all those festive colors and patterns and the diagonal placement is really FUN! NJ on the challenges!

    ReplyDelete