Sunday, March 10, 2013

Art Journals & A Reflection

Last week I had to attend the funeral for one of my clients. He was only 49 years old and leaves behind a wife and two teenagers. The service was short but sweet, highlighted by some passages from his journals...notes about his favorite places to visit, proud papa moments when his kids did something fantastic, and stories of how thankful he was to have he family he had. And as I sat there through the service, I thought...what an amazing gift he has left behind. Although he died much too young and his children won't have him around...they will always have this piece of him. His words, his thoughts, his love. 


I've tried journaling in the past, I even have books started for each of my boys. There are only 5 entries in each book and the last entry was in 2006. I just don't like writing (ironic, since I used to work as a writer for a living).  When I started scrapbooking back in 2001, I figured that this would be my legacy to leave to my kids. Evidence of a life well lived and well loved. But as most scrapbookers will confess, there are few photos of me in any of my books. I am always the one behind the camera. 

Art journals are all the rave right now and I've been wanting to start one of my own. Now that I've started wading into the mixed media pool...I'm hooked and want to dive right in. So I've decided instead of a traditional journal, that I will create art journals for my boys. The art and my scribbles will be my way of documenting our life together. And since I don't see them leaving home with the 18+ scrapbooks that I have made, they might want to take their journals (okay, maybe not...but I am doing it anyway).
I started my oldest son's book with a picture from when he was born. The photo isn't the greatest (taken 11 years ago with a point and shoot film camera) and my son had jaundice, making him look like a really skinny oompa-loompa. I kept the journal note small and wrapped around the edge of the page. You can't notice how messy my handwriting is, and that is what I love about it :-)



I am entering this page into the Simon Says Stamp and Show blog because as it was coming together I realized it worked perfectly with this week's number theme. But honestly this page is about so much more than a challenge, and I couldn't love it more. I can't wait to go make some more pages. 

If you've made it to the end of this long post...thank you! Now, go make some memories!






Supplies: Mixed Media journal by Strathmore, Tattered Angels Glimmer Mist (Meadow Green, Turquoise Blue, Blue Skies, Sapphire), Stamps by Hero Arts and All Night Media, Washi tape by Freckled Fawn, gesso.

4 comments:

  1. Very precious indeed and so worthwhile as photos just sit on computers these days. Love your colours and splats. A great keepsake. Thanks for sharing with Simon Says Stamp & Show. Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute Stacy! Love the sweet photo and beautiful background! The little footprints look darling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So great to have a theme for your art journal, I think that's why I have never done one as they always seem to be just a place to play and experiment and I do a lot of that on my pages and canvasses. I think it's a wonderful idea to make them for your kids! I love the freedom of expression on your first page, the colours are delightful too. Have fun continuing :-)
    Thanks so much for leaving me some blog love too!
    x

    ReplyDelete