Monday, March 4, 2013

March Mixed Media Madness!

As you may remember, I kicked off the year watching videos from Nathalie Kalbach's Creative Jump Start Summit 2013. A lot of the videos showed mixed media projects (Nat's specialty). So they've been stewing in my head for a while now. The artists made it look like so much fun...but there is a big difference between real artistry and a wanna-be artist.

Then recently I came across this cool video over on the Faber-Castell website showcasing a mixed media canvas created with rubber stamps and Gelatos. I couldn't help myself...I just had to give it a try. 

To the left is my first attempt (actually, it's like my third attempt, but the other one's weren't photo-worthy). I used a variety of stamps from my collection (I think the large flower is from Outlines Rubber Stamps, who are no longer in business, and the wavy background is a Ditto stamp from Hampton Arts that I picked up at Michaels). 

There is some gesso and some mod podge involved too....my new favorite goos. I had a little paper calendar that I got from some vendor and thought these might make cute wall calendars (teacher gift ideas for next holiday season, maybe?)

I was having so much fun that I kept on creating and came up with this one (to the right) stamping the entire background of the canvas with the Double Vision Ditto stamp by Hampton Arts and then using the Gelatos as a watercolor medium over top. I loved the pop of flowers from the first canvas, so I used similar ones for this along with some sentiments from My Favorite Things How Does Your Garden Grow set. I used the polka dot flower center from the same set to decorate inside some of the background circles.

And last but not least was a canvas I created using my good old fashioned Distress Inks with an embossed resist. I don't usually do a lot with the vintage look, but I really like how this canvas came out. I used accents from Tim Holtz Alterations line and tissue tape, some old letter brads I had, and some white cotton flowers.

(Note: the calendar shown in the pics is just a placeholder... if I did decide to give these away I would replace with a nicer calendar or maybe post it notes).  

Thanks for stopping by and indulging me in my mixed media madness!
 

1 comment:

  1. These are all so terrific! I haven't braved multimedia yet... you rocked it!

    ReplyDelete