Wednesday, March 6, 2013

More Modge Podge, Please

If you stopped by the blog on Monday, you saw my foray into mixed media canvas. Before I got started, I watched a few videos and scoured Pinterest for some inspiration.  Among the pins, I found a cute canvas here that had a patchwork background.  I am pretty sure the artists painted the background, but it reminded me of a quilt and that got my brain spinning.

I wanted to create a really special birthday card for a good friend of mine. She is super sweet and a bit artsy herself, so I knew she would appreciate it. I cut a number of scrap pieces of paper from my stash to 1 1/4 inch squares and adhered them with mod podge. That stuff is amazing and in addition to adhering anything, it gives the project a nice shiny topcoat.

I used the lowercase alphabet dies from My Favorite Things to cut out the word happy in black cardstock and then stamped the word birthday from the tail end of one of my random clear Happy Birthday stamps. To make the word stand out against the background, I heat embossed it with black powder. Using a Memento tuxedo black pen, I hand "stitched" around a few of the squares to give it an authentic quilt feel.

I just love when projects come out exactly as I hoped they would, don't you?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment