Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Muse Challenge # 10 and a CAS Card that was Neither Clean nor Simple

I don't know what has happened to me...it's like all my creativity dried up. I haven't posted in 10 days because quite honestly, I haven't created anything in that long. On Monday, the gals over at Muse: A Card Making Club posted a new challenge (#10) from Ardyth Percy-Robb that I hoped would spark some creativity. Her CAS card is to the right.  It's fun, its simple, and I couldn't wait to see what everyone else would come up with for samples.

When I looked at the card, I immediately thought to reverse the images...placing white circles on a background. And since I've been playing with my spray mists a ton lately, they seemed like the perfect backdrop.  But you'll see below...it took me several attempts to get just the look I was going for. And so the process was anything but clean and certainly wasn't simple, either. Ugh!

Emboss resist technique
Initially I tried the emboss resist technique. Using an embossing pen, I traced circles in various sizes and then heat embossed them in white powder. But I don't think that my embossing pen has enough liquid in it and the circles seemed faded. Overall, not a bad look, but just not what I was going for. Also, I wanted more white space on the card to mirror the clean look of the sample. So I kept on playing.

Wrong sentiment size,
not loving the colors
So for the next attempt, I decided to ditch the embossing idea and instead stamp circles in gesso AFTER I applied the spray mist. Because I wanted more control over the mists, I held the spray bottles closer to the page, which kept the splotches more contained. This wouldn't have been a bad card, but you can see that the spray mist breached the lines separating the sentiment and the sentiment stamp I chose was just way too big for the lines. And in the end, I just didn't love the colors that I chose. So attempt #2 was a fail in my eyes.

Better color and sentiment size,
but not enough white space
Trial number #3 was by far, my favorite color combination. So I was getting closer....but I went a little spray happy and forgot to leave enough white space. Not quite done yet. At this point too, I was pretty committed to the ribbon flanking the top and the bottom of the sentiment panel as it was the only way to hide stray spray marks that leaked into the strip.

So here is the "final" card. It has most of the elements that I was going for. It has more white space (although my purple spray doesn't always cooperate and tends to get off course). It has the colors I love with a bit more purple than attempt #3. And I chose to mat this one with a purple background for a layered look. The ribbon color is a bit off though...picky, picky.

Final card for submission
The good news is that in addition to finally having a card to submit for this week's Muse challenge, I have a number of other "failed" attempts that have been salvaged and will make nice cards to send to someone else (who doesn't know what I was trying to do) or possibly to add to my box for Operation Write Home.

And since my hands are already covered in purple ink, I might as well keep playing. Who knows what else I might come up with.

Thanks for stopping by.


Supplies: Neenah Solar White Card base, Tattered Angel's Glimmer Mists, Gesso, Everyday Expressions sentiment stamps by Paper Studio, Ribbon by Offray.

19 comments:

  1. I like all of these!! And one that has more colors, lovin' it too.

    Thanks for your comments on my blog. I will be checkin' nore out on your blog later today!!

    -Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you stopped by Kimberly! Thanks.

      Delete
  2. I actually really like #2, especially the colors (which is what you didn't like). All are successes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww....thanks Cyn! Since you're checking out my blog, does that mean I can bring you over to the dark side of paper crafting? Come on...you know you want to play along :-)

      Delete
  3. I love them ALL! They are all pretty and unique! :)

    Lauren
    http://landersoncraftydesigns.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all of your so called 'failed attempts'....but I definitely hear you! My recycle bin tends to overflow each time I sit at my desk!

    Your final card really is stunning! Isn't it a great feeling when you can look at your finished product, smile happily and then head off to bed at approximately 2:00am!!! I actually love the shade of your ribbon. A nice contrast with the right hue!

    Thanks for stopping by today and saying hello :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I'm not alone Geri! I try to salvage as much as I can :-)

      Delete
  5. Each one of these is perfect in its own way! Wow! I really appreciate all the trouble you've gone to to play along and I love your idea of reversing the card - very clever! I find when I'm stumped and feeling like I have no ideas at all, the best thing to do is just try a few things - sometimes it takes awhile, but usually the old creativity ball starts rolling. It certainly happened here for you! Thanks so much for playing along!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, your sweet comment, and most importantly, for the wonderful inspiration. I just loved your card and despite my many attempts, still like yours better. Someday I'll have to CASE it for real :-) So glad we "met" and I and can't wait to see what you come up with in the future.

      Delete
  6. You saved the best for last along your creative journey! I actually do like each card with it's own distinctive look, but the final card just rocks with those great colors! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh you made me laugh--& feel like I'm not alone in how many attempts it can take me to get the look I want! I love spray mists & really like all of these, but my favorite is the final one--bravo for sticking it out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stacy, you're not alone! I OFTEN have more cards in the 'well THAT didn't work' pile than I have in the 'I'm happy with this' pile! lol It's all part of learning and sharing too. I post my dud cards too, especially if they've been inspired by a challenge like Muse mainly to get other people's feedback so I can learn from 'em :) As for the cards you weren't happy with, I love 'em! The emboss resist card is gorgeous! The colors are so vivid even though they blended so nicely. The gesso stamped card is just fabulous...LOVE! The 3rd card is poifect and the final card is beautiful too! I love 'em all. Thanks for stopping by my blog to say hi. I appreciate your encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great card, Stacy! I love the attempts (particularly the colours on the one you didn't like!).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful card! I really love the colors you used! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. My paper bin is permanently full ... as soon as I empty it somehow it gets to overflowing again! This was definitely worth all those wonderful attempts ... they're all fabulous ... I particularly love the last one, the colours are just so vibrant and eyecatching! Anita :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love all of these cards. The colors are wonderful. I love the use of gesso and spray mist. I am a technique junkie and I think I'm going to have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like your final result best, too, but I think they are all good enough to use. Thanks for showing the entire process!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stacy your card is so painterly and looks like it was so much fun to make! I'm glad you played along in our Muse challenge!!! Hope to see your cards in future challenges.

    ReplyDelete