Saturday, March 16, 2013

WPlus9 Monday Mood Board #5 Challenge

Monday Mood Board #5 at WPlus9
I came up to the craft room today after being away from it all week. After spending almost an hour and half cleaning out my emails, I had very little motivation for crafting. Luckily, I came across the Monday Mood Board #5 over at WPlus9's design blog. Normally, I don't play along with the WPlus9 challenges because I only own a few of their items. But the red & blue patterns in the paper reminded me of their Quilt Cuts 1 Die, which I do own...and use all the time! So I decided to play with it a bit to see what I could come up with. And since it my Mom's birthday is coming up at the beginning of next month, I thought I could get started on her card.

The card I made is actually my third attempt. Once I had the pink border down the side (which I love)...I just couldn't find the right colors in my patterned paper stash to make it work. I had three or four different papers from my K&Company floral stash, but just didn't love the combinations. I was trying to stay pretty true to inspiration board, but you'll notice in the end, I changed it up entirely. That is what I love about these challenges, they really force me to play around until I find something that works.



One of the things I love most about this card is that I used a lot of my scrap stash up to pull it together. Other than the patterned paper (from Basic Grey's Sweet Threads), I used scraps for the rest of the card, so I can't really tell you what the papers are (mostly Bazzill and Recollections though, I think). I used the inside cuts from the WPlus9 Quilt Cuts 1 die to make the border on the right as well as the little hearts on the green tag. I used the outer frame of the die cut for the flowers on the brown background and the little pink tag in the upper left corner. I traced the center of each petal with white pen to give it another layer. I thought about doing it on the border as well, but was afraid that if I didn't like it, I would ruin the card. The birthday sentiment is from Wordsworth by Rubber Soul and I cut the tag from the Plantin Schoolbook cartridge for Cricut and finished it off with some pink bakers twine from Hemptique. 

I am so excited that I got to play along with a new challenge and I really love how the card turned out. I know my mom will love it too since she is a big time gardener and loves anything floral.

Well, that's it for now. I've gotta run and make dinner for the crew...they are "starving" or so they say :-) 

1 comment:

  1. hiya sweetie what a fab card just loving the colours superb hugs sassyxxxxx

    ReplyDelete