Saturday, December 14, 2013

My Greatest Gift(s)

You can tell from my infrequent posts that I've been a little preoccupied. So I thought it was about time that I explained myself. I would like to introduce you to my newest distractions:

This is Tag--my 8 (ish) year old majestic man.

This is his "sister" Zoey, a lovely lady and absolute sweetheart.
See I had some "free time" this fall and decided that I should volunteer at the Rhode Island Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (RISPCA). It was on my second visit that I met Tag for the first time. He was curled up in a ball at the back of his cage not even looking up when people came by. As a volunteer, I am allowed to open up the cages and pet the kitties and even take some of them out to play on the floor for a short visit. But Tag didn't seem to care about interacting with the public and so he was easy to miss (I passed right by him my first visit choosing more social kitties to spend my time with). But when I opened his cage on that second day and started petting him, he inched his way over to me slowly. He never even got up...just shimmied on his side until his head was resting against me purring loudly. I fell instantly in love and knew that I had to bust him out of there.

He was brought in with a female cat, Zoey, when their owner went through a divorce and couldn't take them to her new apartment. Zoey was equally adorable, but slightly skittish. Although she hid behind a blanket most of the time, as soon as I opened her cage she came right over and rubbed up against me. She was part of the package. If I took one, I certainly wasn't leaving the other behind. 

Fortunately, my husband knew it was fruitless to try to talk me out of this once my mind was made up. And after meeting them, and seeing them in the cages, he fell in love (or at least strong like, too). Even though we already have a 19 year old cat at home, these guys are so gentle that I hoped that they would blend seamlessly into the home. 

It hasn't gone quite as smoothly as I'd hoped, but I still wouldn't change a thing. The new cats are loving the freedom of more space and sunlit windows and my old lady cat is... well...becoming very adept at ignoring the newcomers and scaring them off when they get too close.

There are so many beautiful animals stranded at shelters just waiting for their forever home. Please consider taking a furry friend into your life.  It is the greatest gift that you can give....but you'll get so much more back than you could have imagined.

Wishing you a "purrfect" holiday season.


 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for rescuing the two beauties. I'm sure they will give you lots of love for a long time. All our pets are shelter pets, too.

    ReplyDelete